Looking back now I am amazed to see how arriving with "no real expectations" transformed into writing and designing promotional materials, developing a website (and now a blog), building trails in the beautiful mountains of Ocotal, teaching English and computer classes, painting numerous signs, being a part of countless planning and action meetings for the NGO Enlace...and believe me...the list goes on.
With direction and council from the intelligent Kellan Morgan and the "eager beaver" Yacarely Mairena, my "vague idea" of what I could do to help out here in El Sauce exploded into unforgettable experiences and exciting projects. I truly will miss everything about this place (...except maybe the heat!).
With that said, here are Five highlights from my Five months!
Highlight 1:
Ocotal

I had the privilege of spending my first to weeks in Nicaragua working on building trails in the remote, mountainous region of Ocotal. One of Enlace's current projects is bringing rural tourism to this area. A guest center and kitchen have been built, casa huespedes have been equipped for tourists to live with traditional families if they prefer and we are in the process of digging a well for the guest center.
I chose to spend my time hacking away at the mountains with a pick-axe and chopping down weeds and branches with a machete to create three new trails with breathtaking views. I was privileged enough to live with two amazing families: That of Don Mauricio and Emiliano (not to mention the food was delicious and the kids are Frisbee naturals!).
Since those first two weeks I have returned numerous times to Ocotal. Sometimes for meetings with the tourism cooperative in Ocotal or Fuente de Pino (a group of women who make beautifully hand-crafted pine needle baskets) and for more trail work. I always look forward to the next visit. Dona Pricilla's toasted tortillas, Emiliano's crazy hand motions because he thinks I speak no Spanish, Marco and Mercedes with the Frisbee, playing Slap jack with Lucia, Maria Elena and her son Sergio helping us out with events at the Ranchon, crazy adventures with Don Mauricio in the forest chasing after his dog and anteaters...Fran and Richard doing
Highlight 2:

Where I have spent the majority of my time...this lovely blue and white, former liberal party headquarters, with its decaying balconies and pigeon infested attic...I call it my second home.
With wireless Internet, the most reliable source of water in all of El Sauce and a FRUIT stand right out front where I can buy a pineapple for 75 cents and a dozen of bananas for 50 cents...not to mention I moved in right next door so it is in a quite convenient location...I'd say it's worth putting up with the pigeons.
Yaci and Kellan (founders of Enlace) thankfully had enough confidence to entrust many responsibilities to me. My office work included (but most certainly was not limited to), designing brochures, posters and other promotional materials for current programs, painting many signs to let people know what our office is all about, creating a website and more.

We put on a few events during my stay to promote programs and raise money and awareness. One of these was a bike raffle on Valentine's Day (Dia de Amor y Amistad) with the most delicious soup ever.
Highlight 3:
English Class

One of the things I most enjoyed about being in Nicaragua for five months was helping teach and prepare materials for the English class. Every single student has such a unique personality and eagerness to learn English. Not only were they learning English, but I was learning Spanish in the process! Great students as well as teachers.
I also learned that I actually enjoy teaching...at least in this kind of classroom! Constant and active participation and speaking is the key to learning here. I heard some enlightening presentations, watched some hilarious skits and played some silly games with these guys--All the while learning English! Who ever said learning can't be fun.
Here, I found what I'm sure will be some life-long friends.
Highlight 4:
Life in El Sauce

During my stay in El Sauce, I lived with two different host families, each for one month, and then moved into a house with my good friend and co-worker Yaci.
Ileana was my first host mother. Her house was gorgeous. High ceilings, beautiful courtyard garden and a restaurant in the front. Her and her family were more than welcoming and I felt like family immediately. Not to mention that Ileana is probably the best cook in all of Nicaragua.
I lived with Sonja and Alberto, an elderly couple, and their son Marlon for the month of February. I even had my own bathroom at their house! Sonja has the greatest sense of humor and Alberto made sure I never went hungry.
After the first two months passed, I had gotten to know other people in El Sauce more and decided to move in with a friend. Although I couldn't come home to a great meal anymore and instead had to cook my own food now...I loved living on my own as well.

Being here working with Enlace, I met numerous Peace Corps volunteers who had been placed in or around the El Sauce region as well. I was able to help out with building about eight Hornos Mejorados, new and improved ovens, for families in the area.
22 years old and I still enjoy playing in the mud.

I met some very talented people though English Class. One of these students is in a band and I had the privilege of singing and playing guitar with them at an event to raise money for Haiti after the recent earthquake.
There are many opportunities for involvement in the community and to meet more people--two things which I often look forward to most about trips.
Highlight 5:
Exploring Nicaragua

What isn't there to do in this country?!
Volcano boarding, museums, hiking, volcanoes, beaches, boats, islands, monkeys, cathedrals, canyons, rivers, butterfly farms, artisania markets, BAKERIES!, lagoons...do you want me to keep going? Believe me. There is much more.
I hiked Volcan Telica with some friends. The total hike took us about seven and a half hours. Actually hiking TO the volcano was much longer than the actual
And getting home was interesting as well. I guess you can't always rely on the public transportation! Our bus passed right by us so we hitched a ride with the first truck who stopped for us. Conveniently, also headed to El Sauce!

The ocean beaches were absolutely amazing as well. I spent many weekends at the ocean swimming and playing Frisbee. I also visited several lagoons with beautiful, clear swimming water as well.
During my last month in Nicaragua I took a week off and went on a 75 mile canoe trip with friends down the Rio San Juan. We saw crocodiles, monkeys, toucans, iguanas, fresh water sharks(!!) and more. We ended in the Atlantic Ocean and went on some tours in San Juan del Norte.

If you are at ALL considering visiting Nicaragua, volunteering in Nicaragua...or anything else...I highly suggest El Sauce...if not at least stopping in for part of your trip! It has truly been a life-changing experience for me, as I'm sure it would be for you.
And I fully intend on returning to El Sauce in the future.
--Samantha Durfee
January 2, 2010-May 24, 2010
No comments:
Post a Comment